Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Death of the Floppy Disk

It has been announced by Sony Corp. that they will cease producing & selling the 3.5 floppy disk in 2011. The decision to stop manufacturing has been the result in the decline of sales and usage due to the demand for CD's and DVD's and similar formats.

The question I have is, why did it take so long to get to this conclusion? Its been so long since the last time that I used a 3.5 inch floppy that I cant even remember when. I know that somewhere in storage I have boxes filled with not only 3.5 inch discs, but also 5 1/4 inch discs. I can remember selling 8 inch floppies back when I worked for Radio Shack in the 80's.

Why do I keep them? Honestly, I dont know. But I have them. And I am amazed that I continue to see them for sale at this stage of things. But with Sony's decision to cease production, the little floppy disc is now reached the end of it's life. And for storage formats, I guess you can say it had a good long run of a life considering the speed at which change continues to take place in the computer industry.

R.I.P. - 3.5 Floppy.

1 comment:

  1. Hello David,
    Thank you for my following my blog on Google Friend Connect. I am now following your nice blog too. Let's keep in touch.

    multibrand.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete